View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #41
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
The way it worked out, I was traveling when the Tuareg came together. I arrived home with about 5 days to build the bike and send it on its way to Oakland to go in the container.

Luckily, C.Vestal is my shop neighbor and I know his weaknesses. So, I had help.

The first step was stripping it down to nothing and getting comfortable with the underpinnings.

Her enduro clothes came off, and valves were checked, bearings greased, fluids changed, everything I could do to get the underlying bike sorted. Then it was time for Chris to work his magic on the front end:

I had taken at least two of everything required to make a rallybike to Dakar, and used only what was on the bike. The only part I had to buy for the Tuareg was a gas tank- Jason at MX1West helped me out with that.

In addition, I put on some other parts I really trust:

- Dirt Tricks gearing- 15/48, and I brought 14 and 46 sprockets to give me a pretty good range of options, together with a new chain.
- BRP damped submounts and chain guide
- 7602 racing Carb vent filter
- FMF Megabomb exhaust and 4.1 silencer
- Cycra Handguards w/ BRP threaded inserts (bombproof!)
- Wolfman custom fairing bags- the best for carrying a few odds and ends
- F2R Roadbook
- System Tech fork bleeders
- Touratech GPS mount
- Scotts steering stabilizer

Suspension was my spare set from Dakar (open chambers with stock 2009 XCW valving and .50kg/mm springs, stock rear valving w/ 8.0 spring), spare wheels from Dakar, spare tires and mousses from Dakar... basically, I built the bike from leftovers lying on the shelf. Good thing, too, because there's not much time to order anything in 5 days!

Here's the final product, I have no idea what my expression is about:

I loaded it in my van together with Wild Man's ex-Jonah 525, cRAsH and AnnieGS drove it out to Oakland, and it went in the crate. Here's the US lineup:

The plan had been set in motion!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote