View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #50
yellow 1150GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Last summer my wife and I rode home on an 1150 GS to Cleveland, Tennessee from Clarksville, Tennessee during a "high wind advisory" where the winds were gusting up to 65 mph. Found the only way to make decent progress was to ride the back roads. Interstate was impossible. Winds were steadily over 40 mph and you were forced to ride leaned into the wind. It was tough going through road cuts and underpasses and coming out into the open and back into the wind. Near Lynchburg, Tennessee we stopped at a gas station and met an older couple on a new Goldwing. The wife was hysterical and refused to get back on anymore that day. Seems they had several near misses of almost getting blown off the road. She even threatened to ride the bus instead of getting back on the bike.
I didn't realize how much work it had been trying to stay on the road until I woke up the next morning. My back and shoulders were so sore and tight from fighting the wind. Thank goodness for the wide handlebars on the GS. Can't imagine what it would have been like trying to ride a sportbike with the narrow bars.
yellow 1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote