View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #52
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Down the Eyre Peninsular to Port Lincoln

We headed south from Port Augusta, my worries of a long wait on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere whilst Hydro went for a new tyre, gone. Confidence in our equipment re-established. Our destination was Port Lincoln, to cage dive with the Great White Sharks, White Pointers, Carcharodon Carcharias...

First stop was Whyalla, an iron ore town and previous ship building location for Australia. The red of the iron ore reminded me of my home state and North West area where I come from. The views from Hummock Hill gave a good position to check the surrounding area.

The navy vessel Whyalla built in its towns namesake during its ship building heyday. Now a feature part of the local maritime museum. We arrived too early in the morning to for me to satify my nautical history interests.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Views from the hill. The Spencer Gulf is renowned for its prolific seafood bounty in particular squid, cuttlefish, pink snapper, prawns and just outside of the area, tuna.

The iron ore load out area.

With the tyre concern behind us, away from the countries harsh interior and enjoying the cooler coastal climate we cruised the coast, stopping in at all the small fishing and holidaying towns. Grain and sheep farming became evident throughout the area.

Cowell pub.

Arno Bay, if you look closely you can see the floating tuna farm pens in the bay. Further south these pens are extensive with the farming of not only tuna but king fish and mulloway.

Arno Bay pub.

Port Neill, we met a Dutch couple traveling around Australia rising money for a orphanage in Vietnam. The bike was a 1940s Harley trike.

Although, there wasn't much going on in the town you could see at certain times of the year the place would be packed with holiday makers.

Tumby Bay. I'm not sure if it is that we are friendly country lads, because we're riding bikes or its the places we go, ( I have a feeling its a mixture of all points ) it seems everywhere we pull up we are making good friends, chatting with the locals and enjoying good company.

Destination Port Lincoln.
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote