View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #29
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaney View Post
Beware, in Rallying the cheap way and equipment will fu.. you over, normally in the middle of nowhere. Its your choice but I certainly wouldnt recommend it.
Hi Lee - I'd listen to Beaney... the whole point of a navigation rally is the navigation, and if that equipment lets you down, you are screwed...

If this is a one-off, toe in the water thing, then by all means rent something (you could also ask Patsy at Desert Rose if she has any 2nd hand gear she might sell or rent), but a decent roadbook holder and PROPER rally trip computer is the best investment you can make, particularly if you intend to continue rally raiding - and they are always easy to sell on in the future...

Personally, like Brodovich - I prefer the Touratech IMO over the ICO units - but specifically the IMO R50 version, which is much smaller and neater than the old style clunkers... it also has a dual display for partial and total distance at the same time (replicating the page of the roadbook).

Everyone I've ever spoken to says they have had reliability issues with the ICO units - which is why everyone seems to fit two 'just in case' - although I have to say, Tony's (RNS) billet rally computer looks like a lovely piece of work, that I've yet to use myself - I have his remote control unit, and that is excellent quality.

As for the roadbook - don't even think about trying to use a manual one - you have to have an electrically driven one to be able to ride safely at race speeds... the F2R unit is very well put together, and probably the best budget alternative available at the moment.

Steer clear of the Touratech roadbook holder - I've had two, and both failed... The MD is the de facto choice, and I have been very happy with mine... it is also the most likely one you'll find for sale secondhand.

Ultimately, any International rally is not going to be cheap... you can save money by doing your own servicing, and transportation - although don't discount the fact that if you're tired before you get there, and up half the night fixing a problem, this will compound your fatigue for the rest of the event... the point is to enjoy it remember!

Hope to see you in Greece in April - but don't scrimp on your bike prep - be honest with yourself - if you don't have the budget to buy 'an extra tyre' so to speak, then perhaps you should look at participating in a different event in the future, when you can attend with more of a [financial] safety net?

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 11:51 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote