View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post

Hi Eakins, your thoughts on what DR riders need or prefer would be much appreciated! I know you have a lot of adventure riding experience with 'em.
I really like how you moved the racks forward so the bags (several Wolfman options to choose from now) are closer to center as the DR is really a 1 man (or women) show kinda bike.

That rear rack is then nice and big to support a Wolfman dry duffel for camping and other gear. The only thing i'd love to see (if possible) is a way to tie in and support to that center bolt on the fender for added strength. Maybe a piece of attached tube that goes down into it the recess and then use a longer bolt.

The old ebay BBQ rack does this with flat plate and a nylon spacer in that spot. The reason i'd like to see this is because this rack can hold some heavy loads. If you look at the rear left attachment plate on a DR650, it's really just a thinner plate of material with so so welds. Enough weight and off-road riding is gonna snap that plate of and thus 1/4 of the mounts. I'm thinking that center mount will help carry some weight. Look at the pic bellow and see that center bolt on the flat plate. That connects down to the subframe so 5 points of strength. This is needed for any large DR rear rack IMO.

What's the solution for rear turn signals? Does your racks allow the factory grab rails to remain and thus a place for the turn signals? If not then you need some mounts on the rear rack for the turn signals. What about of the side racks alone are used? They they fit with the factory grab rails and also the oem rear rack?

Glad to see you did not tie the side & rear racks together, so people can mix and match your racks with others out there.

I can tell you are a one man show and have learned a ton about this whole process. You are producing a nice product.
I'm happy to see and support anyone who is making parts and gear for the DR650 as that's my bike of choice.

Thanks, Bill

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 11:50 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote