View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYtankerBEAN View Post
Well I cleaned the carb on the 1984 and gave her a shot in the woods...I feel like a complete wuss but I do not feel comfortable on this thing at all. That being said I will be selling both of the YZ490's in order to get something a lot more tame!! If any of you 490 fanatics want to trade me a good woods bike for my two 490's let me know! I think I will get another XR400r or a KDX200/220 or if I can swing it a KTM 300. Like I said I feel like I'm backing down but I really think that bike could get away from me real quick in the trails we have up here....or maybe I'm just a complete pussy...

Aaron
I loved my 83 490, I had it slightly bored when I freshed it up.....but it had a great spread of power, almost 4 stroke like. It would go from tractor to missile, and everything in between depending on your right wrist. I rode it mostly in the oregon woods, then a little desert when I moved to nevada...it did it all with no probs. My only complaint was the 4 speed tranny.

BTW as mentioned above proper jetting makes all the difference.