View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
lightcycle
Nomad

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by albany-dave View Post
Yes, I too have wanted for many years to ride to and experience Alaska. Now as I read the forms I am becoming very aware to the serious of the trek. Some ride reports make it sound fairly easy and some make it sound like deep slimy mud for 000's of miles. Maybe the truth is in the middle, or just dependent on weather and luck.
This is ADVRider, so all the Ride Reports seek out the gnarliest roads to ride and take pictures of.

In terms of the roads, Alaska is just like every other state in America. There is smooth blacktop that will take you to 99.9% of all the major towns and cities in the state. You never have to touch a single dirt road if you don't want to, and can take a full dresser Harley if you really wanted to.

*HOWEVER*, most of the really amazing scenery is off the beaten path: Atigun Pass on the Dalton on the way to Prudhoe Bay, Top of the World highway, etc. Those are the pictures you see on ADV, and is probably why you have those misconceptions.

This is the Alaska Highway, and is indicative of almost all of the roads in the state:

Just have to add that this is fun as well, though:

lightcycle screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 08:29 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote