View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
pirate63 OP
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 445
Slowly trying to catch up with this report as we are about a month behind.....
so here we go with the post,as i sit here having a lazy day in Kampot Cambodia

untitled-5.jpg

Mersing to Kuantan then on to Fraser Hill

untitled-7.jpg

There were a lot of theses trucks on the road

We had read about Mersing being a beautiful place to kick back & relax with clear blues waters & great diving…that sounded right up our alley, so with our bags packed we set off for the 270km’s ride, we arrived without booking a hotel…which is not unusual for us to do, the local town was not an option as we have to be careful where we park the bike & all the hotels only had street parking so we decided to travel down the road close to the sea, we rode around for a bit then stopped at the ‘Fishing Bay resort’ (or something like that) the owners were only to happy to show us around we looked at 2 different price groups of the rooms they had, they were both pretty expensive, but it was the location that you were paying for, the cheaper room was RM130= Just under $40 & the other room was RM 185 = $60 the only difference in the rooms were one was in a room overlooking the ‘gardens’ & sea & the other room was a cabin by the sea…it all sounds amazing doesn’t it? How ever even though it was hot it was also windy & the sea was choppy & brown no way were we getting in that water…lol… the rooms were damp, smelly & had wood rot, the paint was peeling off the walls & moldy curtains Ekkk…so as it was out of season ( monsoon season) we asked them if they would come down in price, (as this place may have been the best of a bad lot!) we asked the manager if they would reduce the price they would not budge, which we thought was odd as no one else was staying there! so we told them we may be back! With our fingers crossed we hoped we may stumble upon a better room so we rode back to some other cabins we seen earlier, we spoke to the manager of ‘Air paplan’ & he promptly showed us a log cabin, which was fine not damp, but not perfect either but way better than the previous place & he gave us a discount, so we paid RM130 instead of 150…bargain! We did however have a couple of visitors in the cabin a couple of mossies’ & a couple of Asian geckos, anyone who knows me would know how much they ‘freak’ me out, I just had to put it out of my mind!!!

We settled in then went into town for some lunch, we settled on Mary Brown’s (similar to KFC), on our walk around the town we spied a bakery, it had the most delicious looking cakes & savory rolls so we thought we had better buy some after all you have to support the locals don’t you? So back to the cabin then off for a walk down the beach, it’s a beautiful area with large boulders holding back the forests so they can’t meet the sea, how ever you could be forgiven for thinking that chocolate milk was the sea, as that’s what it looked like,

untitled-6.jpg

But apparently its just a season ‘thing’, also there was a lot of litter along the beach which is a big bug bear of mine, I know a fair bit gets washed up from the sea, but there was also local litter, I just don’t get it, on our way back to the cabin we found there was quite of accommodation in that street plus restaurants, so it must get really busy at the height of the season, the area isn’t very commercial which was nice…I do hope BIG hotels don’t come in & take over the area.
When we got back to the cabin i did a little bit of ‘tinkering’ on the bike, adjusting the clutch and chain and Chris got on with the ‘housework’…the washing!!!

untitled-8.jpg

There were a few colourful Mosques we past..

untitled-7.jpg

The next day we set of for Kuantan as it was on way to our next destination… Fraser Hill, on way to Kuantan we stopped in a place called Pekan as there were some amazing life size sculptures of horse’s made from drift wood they were incredible so life like.

untitled-4.jpg

Chris feeding the horses...

We arrived at Kuantan at about lunchtime, after a bit of hunting around we found a hotel (not too many in this area) we found one…Mega View Hotel RM 150, the staff were really helpful, i even got to park the bike right out side the hotel doors under the awning, we were on the sixth floor we had a great view of the river, the room was clean & comfortable, but had crap Wi-Fi, it was so
S-L-O-W, so we gave up with the ‘blog’ for a while & decided to go & find something for dinner, well in such a big town we thought we would be spoilt for choice of ‘restoran’s’.

untitled-5.jpg

Hmmm... wonder what service you get from this place....

Well were we wrong after walking around for about half an hour or may have been longer, we found a little restaurant that seemed very popular with the locals and the local cats!!! .When the food arrived we were pretty pleased, we had chicken with rice, nann bread with various dipping sauces & nasi goring plus a couple of drinks all for the grand total of RM13, After taking the ‘short’ cut back to the hotel we decided to get back to the blog!

We don’t seem to be able to get up early anymore! In Oz we used to be up about 5am now we struggle to get up at 8am,mainly because it is still dark at 7.30am, so much for an early start which we wanted to get so we wouldn’t hit the Kuantan traffic, but first we had to have breakfast & pack, about an hour later we set off for Fraser Hills a place we have heard so much about.

untitled-10.jpg

The expressways are extremely good roads and you can clock up a lot of miles fast and bikes are free but they divert you around the toll booms on little lanes,with not much room with bikes with boxes on the side..

untitled-9.jpg

Luckly we out run this bit of storm...

http://brisbane2bristol.wordpress.com
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote