View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #6919
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Anybody here have some experience with baking painted parts?

I might just be doing some work on my engine soon and I'm thinking of painting the side covers, stator and clutch.

From what I've heard I can use regular, good quality paint on these, as they don't get hot enough to necessitate high temp paint ( unless one of you says otherwise ! ).

I've read that baking the part for about 20 minutes makes the paint better cured and more durable. I can do this in my gas-powered kitchen oven.

How long do I bake the parts? At what temperature?
And do I bake them when the paint is still wet, dry to the touch, or completely dry?
Hey deejay,

Yeah I've used various heat resistant paints from a couple of different manufactuers: 3M, Duplicolour and VHT. I preferred 3M but can't seem to find it in my local auto store (Supercheap) but really they are all very similar. I sprayed my entire frame with some of this stuff actually and left it in the sun for 2 weeks (my only way of 'baking' it) and it seemed to work very well, doesn't chip, flake or rub off.

I also have painted my entire engine with some of the duplicolour engine enamel (both the primer and the topcoat) and it has worked fantastically as you can see in the photos. Obviously I couldn't put the entire motor in the oven so I just ran it for a bit and seemed to bake on fine, as I can't scratch this with my fingernail or with with moderate force from a screwdriver. I was most impressed with the way it seems to be holding up on my magnesium sidecovers, although I did an extensive amount of prep: degrease, wash, sand, wipe down with acetone etc.

Before:

After:

Probably doesn't help you but I have found the muffler paint to also work ell (on the muffler obviously).

Finally I have also used some of the brake caliper paint, although I'm fairly sure it is all the same sort of stuff, and I bake all those parts and it seems to be fine against brake fluid etc if it is wiped off quickly. Following the instruction I preped like I normally do (see above), primed it using some left over engine enamel primer, and then hit it with two coats of the caliper paint. Waited about an hour till it was dry to the touch and chucked it all in the oven at 200 degrees (Centigrade, not Fahrenheit). Smelt funky but luckily I had waited till my housemates had left and I wacked the extraction fan on and an hour later pull them out.

Long story short: I reckon this stuff is pretty good. As long as you cure it some way, such as in the oven or running the engine, it should turn out great. In Australia this paint is realllllly expensive though, but not sure if this applies over there.

Hope this helps,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote