View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
Because I imagined that it could become a nightmare I carried a spare FD bearing, oil seal and O-ring around in a little box for almost 70,000km. I figured that in an emergency I could always persuade someone to lend me his/her workshop, it would only be the parts that would be a problem. When (at 93,000km) I picked up, during a routine FD oil check, that mine was finally on it's way out, I was in the comfort of my own workshop. I used it then but needless to say, I have bought another as a spare to carry while touring.

From inspection of the bearing I took out at 93,000km my conclusion was that rust (from water getting into the FD) had weakened the bearing surface so even though I change the FD oil at each oil change I have fitted a snorkel to the FD breather so it would now have to suck in water from the level of the air intake to the engine.

Pity none of this is of any use to poor old Aventeren. Hope it all works out well for him
Excellent advice for carrying one for a HIGHER mileage GS.
Hope that you never have to replace it again...particularly in the FIELD.

Also...carrying an extra might earn you immediate access to heaven (at least SAINTHOOD)...should you be able to help another rider like Adverteen!
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote