View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #1309
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Hey, we are all different, maybe you'd let your 18 year old son go back out. I wouldn't. From his rag doll appearance and the lack of any movement at all, fingers, arms, recoiling from pain etc., I'm pretty sure he was unconscious.

Maybe not. He still could have fractured his neck or spine or had internal injuries and despite walking off, could have died later. I don't see the athletes being put first, the show is. I DQ a rider one year as a AMA MX ref. He had been in the hospital a few days before and had a concussion. His dad was furious but it was the right call. If he crashed/died on the track and I knew about his current brain injury, I'd not only be liable but regret it forever. The doctor that was on our staff agreed.

I just watched the crash again in slow motion. I don't have any reservations about my original opinion.

I'm impressed!? You can make better medical diagnosis from a TV screen than an MD on the scene. Having been up close and personal to a few concussions that boy sure wasn't acting like he had one. I could tell because I was sitting about 80 yards away.

As for them just wanting to let the show go on, it hasn't been all that long ago you could die during a race and barely get a couple of yellow flags, I've seen that too. It's come a long way, two weeks in a row they have red flagged a race.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote