View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
motor-ray OP
FNG

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shovel View Post
My dealer in TX is offering to install the Baja Designs kit and sell a 2013 WR450F with an original Texas STREET title. $9,800 out the door.

I don't know whether to do this or get the 690 Enduro R, or 500EXC. I'm going to buy before next month.

If I do go with the WR450F, what gearing would ya'll recommend? I don't anticipate spending more than an hour on the interstate at a time. Mostly city streets, back roads, dirt roads, and single track.

I wish the 450 was a 6 speed.

Oh, and how much does the Baja kit weigh?

And what DOT tires would ya'll recommend?

Also, the dealer told me the service intervals on the 450 would be similar to the 250 if I rode it as a dual sport, is he on crack?

Thanks in advance,

Shovel
I have left my gearing stock for the time being but have kept it under 65mph on the highway as the motor is still new. My YZ450 motard had one tooth up on the front and three down on the back. This was good for a little over 105mph with 17' rear wheel. This would be way too tall for off-road. It's hard to draw a comparison between the two as the internal YZ ratios are much shorter.

Six speeds are nice but I'm not sure that it's necessary in this application. Opinions vary...

The Baja kit itself is very light (2 lbs?). The mirrors and turn signals probably add a couple more pounds. It wasn't enough to really notice.

I am still running the stock knobbies so I don't currently have any recommendations at this time.

My belief is that the service interval on the 450 would be much more frequent. The WR250R (factory dual sport) is a wet sump machine and carries more oil in the crankcases then the dry sump WR450. Also, the piston skirt on the 250 is longer for more durability. Most importantly, the valve adjustment interval on the 250 is every 26,000 miles. The 450 is way more frequent. Having owned a WR250x (the street motard version) I would be very tempted to go that way again. They have good power and the gearing is pretty good. What most people don't realize is the WR250R will run (or outrun) a DRZ400. I really just like putting these bikes together so I went with the 450.

motor-ray screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 06:18 PM
motor-ray is offline   Reply With Quote