View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #110
bingo43
ĦQue Viva!

Oddometer: 207
Interesting Concept

Oooh. Here's a topic for us. How many of y'all have experienced what I have come to call mountain fever? I got it day 3 of this trip. Came on in the afternoon and stayed with me to Tolantongo. Very debilitating. Gone by the next morning. I have had it before and it can happen on paved or dirt but I know it has something to do with heights. You just suddenly and without warning loose your equilibrium....or something..... and get this feeling that there is a giant magnet on the cliff side of the road trying to suck your bike over the edge. Takes forever to get over it if you try to ride through it but then it is gone and you are back to just normal blood curdling appropriate fear levels.

I've never thought about that as a phenomenon. Very interesting idea. A buddy and I (pedese) rode from Tikal (Flores) down towards Lanquin on day on a trip a few Summers ago. I noticed this in his riding later on in the day. He is a decent rider on the dirt, but late in the day he slowed down to like 10 miles an hour and I had to slow down too. I had to tell him to get in behind me and try to mimic what I did. In my opinion he was going so slow that it was dangerous. I felt he was not keeping his speed up enough to keep gravity at bay. We made it to Lanquin and the next day he was wiped out mentally and did not want to ride up to Semuc Champey to see the pools of water. He was great the next day after a break...but that long day through the mountains broke something in him temporarily. He was awsome the next day...I just thought he did not like the dirt that much...but now looking back, this must have bee what happened. He said he had lost his equilibrium a little and felt like he was riding dangerously unsafe even at very low speeds.

bingo43 screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 11:43 AM Reason: error
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote