View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #111
slowoldguy OP
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post

I've never thought about that as a phenomenon. Very interesting idea. A buddy and I (pedese) rode from Tikal (Flores) down towards Lanquin on day on a trip a few Summers ago. I noticed this in his riding later on in the day. He is a decent rider on the dirt, but late in the day he slowed down to like 10 miles an hour and I had to slow down too. I had to tell him to get in behind me and try to mimic what I did. In my opinion he was going so slow that it was dangerous. I felt he was not keeping his speed up enough to keep gravity at bay. We made it to Lanquin and the next day he was wiped out mentally and did not want to ride up to Semuc Champey to see the pools of water. He was great the next day after a break...but that long day through the mountains broke something in him temporarily. He was awsome the next day...I just thought he did not like the dirt that much...but now looking back, this must have bee what happened. He said he had lost his equilibrium a little and felt like he was riding dangerously unsafe even at very low speeds.

Yup. That's it. Exactly. It's that fuckin' magnet. Ask him about it. ;)

Anybody who knows me knows that speed, street or flat-ish dirt or gravel, is just not a problem for me. But when the Fever hits? I could ride a tricycle faster around the switchbacks.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 12:27 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote