View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
petebcca
Petebcca

Oddometer: 3
Hi!

Im 55 also, so thought I'd reply. I think this is a great trip. In 2010 i took my first long motorcycle trip on a 1997 BMWf650 and went from Vancouver over to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, then up to the North end of Vancouver Island to Port Hardy. In Port Hardy i caught a ferry north to Prince Rupert. This was a full day ferry ride and the price was about $250 for bike and rider, but well worth it. I called this trip the poor man's Alaska cruise. The scenery was fantastic.After overnighting in Prince Rupert I then caught another ferry to Haida Gwaii, previously know as Queen Charlotte Islands. This was my goal and I had a fantastic 5 days there riding gravel. I then returned to Prince Rupert anb headed south east to Vancouver on Highway 16. However, when i got to the junction of highway 37 north (Deese Lake / Stewart Cassiar Highway), i thought why not go to Alaska. I believe it is about 260 kms from Kitwanga Junction. On this highway i saw more bears that carsl let alone people. But the bears are fine and are not known to chase after bikes. This was certainly a highlight of this trip. Quite enjoyed my overnight in Hyder. Several wonderful glaciers. I highly recommend you take this trip. It was fantastic. I went in early August when you have the best chance for great weather. I would think that a trip to Hyder from Oregon could easily and comfortably be done in 8 to 10 days. Good luck and have fun. Pete