View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #55
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,979
Yes, thanks. I'm afraid Arsenal will be out of their depth.

You're correct about training youth before 18 and that's where Klinsmann's plans are important for the future in the United States. It's going to be interesting to see how it all works. The United States doesn't have Europe's tradition of apprenticeship. Soccer clubs here don't have serious youth academies, no money for it. Soccer here is more associated with the middle class and middle class young men are pressured to attend a university. So trying to apply a European or South American model to the United States is going to be an interesting challenge.

I don't pretend to be particularly astute about tactics and strategies but I do watch a fair amount of celery (missed just the one match over the last two years) and understand the basic strategies.

For my money Bob Bradley's conservative, cautious style was a good match for the talent he had on hand. If Charlie Davies hadn't wrecked his career in a car crash I think the United States would have been a shock team at the last World Cup. Whatever it is that Klinsmann is trying -- and it's not clear that even he knows what it is -- it's not working.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote