Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
G/day all

Have a 2010 F800GS. bought 2 years ago new. with 63,000kms

Its summer time here in Oz, was returning from a m/c get together in Bright, (North Eastern Vic).

It was hot, 37C,(100,F) and I decided to enjoy the road before F**kW**s shut it down to 80kph (50mph) next month.

Was going fairly hard, pulled over for a roadside relief stop and a photo. Shortly after the bike suddenly died. Backed off, pulled the clutch, and the motor restarted. This got worse, (more frequent loss of power, then sudden power, not fun on a chain driven bike. )
I'm talking of at least 20kms)
Coasted downhill into Bruthern in neutral with the motor running, took on 11 lts of fuel, and Bingo, no further stop/starts back home.

My guess is that the gas/petrol was vaporising because of the extreme heat and fast riding, with a tail wind.

Anyone else experince a similar thing?
I am just guessing here, as it is hard to diagnose this, not touching the bike, but clogged pump/fuel filter, as it is harder for the pump to suck up the fuel at low levels. Add on the fact that when the fuel is low, the pump has less cooling. There have been several of your situations/symptoms..... And a a few inmates have dissected their pump, to find the filter pretty nasty.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote