View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #60711
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Couple problems with a cell phone as a GPS is that the screens don't work with gloves on, battery life is atrocious when running a GPS app, and they aren't hardened, so mounting them to the bike with all the vibration and lack of waterproofing wil probably kill one pretty quick. That's why I wold really love to see them come out with actual GPS hardware as well as a downloadable map solution. I have no doubt they would kick Garmin's butt.
+1.

Unfortunately, I don't know if the market is big enough for Google to step into hardware. If the Google Map app starts to use the GPS circuitry as well as cell-tower-based in the new cell phones (like Scribe suggests), then I see the consumer car GPS market drying up. That could really hurt Garmin, and really only leave them with the "outdoor" GPS market. Is that a big enough? I don't know.

I think building a more water proof and shock resistant phones (or isolation carriers) is more likely than Google actually producing hardware. Unfortunately. But I support the dream of a Google GPS Unit with Downloadable maps.