View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #352
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Yes, I was thinking of putting on one flood and one spot pattern light. When I am not using the auxiliary front tank on my 450, I would have my 55 W HID light. I could supplement that with a flood light mounted on a ram mount on my bars. I doubt that you would just be able to swap out LEDs. The thermal demands for high powered LEDs require that they be integrated into a circuit board with heavy copper planes and that the board be properly heat sinked to the outer housing.
I have a soldering iron

Seriously though, the hipower LEDs I've seen are soldered to a heat sink which was as you described, a piece of copper, the fiber circuit board was adjacent but not soldered directly, some used a pressure contact, some were a connector to a small modular regulator. The bulb's housing was (-) and soldered to the heatsink, the (+) was another type connection. I looked into making one a while back, it's pretty easy but you don't get the heatsink/waterproof housing and the reflectors are iffy. One like that is the way to go. If you get them I'd be interested to see what they look like inside. I've seen some pretty impressive lighting come from LEDs.

I'm thinking of making one beam of my X2 a HID, TT sells the small ballasts and reflector/bulb assys. I rarely use the lights but the few times I've gotten caught, I sure wish I had more light.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote