Thread: ADV Kids
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #123
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,751
Last time we were out at the ice races, my son, Chase, had a rough time. This time we siped his tires and lowered the air pressures and he felt much more confident in practice, in fact, he was stable enough in the corners to justify him needing a more powerful bike.

He lowered his tire pressure to about 1.5 PSI. I told him I thought it might tear the stem out of the tube, but to go ahead and run whatever PSI he wanted. He opted to keep it super low and, sure enough, he tore the rear stem out in his first heat race. When he would gas it from a stop the rim would spin and the tire would stay still. We did not have a spare tube so his choices were to run his bike like it was or sit out the rest of the race. He was really upset, but after riding the bike around a bit he decided to race the main anyway. His start was terrible since the rim would spin inside the tire and some times on the straights he would get a wobble , but it didn't seem to effect him all that much in the corners. Here he is making a pass on the outside with a flat rear.

In the end he was really happy with the day of racing.

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote