View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #4300
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Me too. I've keep telling myself that I should get into soaring for a long time - and I live close enough to a premier area, the Sierra's. My imagination was that it is an idyllic sort of flying, smooth and silent. But no, I imagine low wing loading and the Sierra's thermals make it quite the opposite. But probably you're so interested in staying aloft and getting lift that you'll take the pounding. After large airplanes if you haven't flown a light plane for a long time it is indeed pretty fun, after the initial over rotation....I've found there's more "fun" and aesthetics in light planes, but less safety/redundancy and more getting beaten up.
Yeah I'm expecting the controls in a glider to require a much lighter touch than the airliners do. I'm wondering about the cockpit height difference too, in regards to judging the landing flare. I don't know how high above the ground the cockpit seat is in my jet when it's sitting on it's landing gear, but it's got to be at least 10 or 12 feet. When the jet's main gear touch down on landing, my eye level is probably 15 or 20 feet in the air. In the glider it will only be about 3 or 4 feet up. I'm sure that will take some getting used to.
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote