View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #1760
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,637
Took off from Santa Marta this morning around 9 or 10. Heading down the street in the historic district:

Went down to the malecon and took some pics of the harbor:

I didn't catch the name of this Spanish conquistador:

As with all cities, the historic district is the most visually interesting. Santa Marta is a port town and it was actually fun riding through the barrios as well. Weaving through the traffic on a little dirt bike is always fun.

I don't have a very good map of Colombia. It didn't have Taganga or Tayrona, so I just hit the main road to Riohacha that wound up into the mountains from the flat plains. Really nice riding. Arid hills that reminded me of the dry side of the Big Island of Hawaii. Lots of scrub trees and bougainvillea with some pink blooming trees that I am not familiar with. I saw a sign to Pueblito and remember trespalacios had recommended heading there so stopped for a coke and asked the owner if it was possible to ride a dirt bike up there. He said I could probably make it the first 5 or 6 kilometers. Pretty rough road:

He was right. After 5 or 6 kilometers with no tire tracks, I determined that this was more of a mule trail. Decided it was too early in the morning to die, and turned back to the highway. I had missed the way to Taganga and headed back to find the road. It was across the railroad tracks. Had to stop for this rail repair rig:

The road wound up into the hills:

Headed down this side road:

to a private beach:

before heading back up and down to Taganga. Here is the first glimpse you get heading into town:

Beautiful area with a relaxed vibe. Looks like a Greek isle. Not that I've been to Greece. But I read plenty of National Geographic mags growing up:

Here is where I'm staying up on the cliffs overlooking the bay. Hostel Techos Azules. I'm into blue technology:

Here is the only cajero automatico in town to get money. Right as you enter on the left:

Down on the beach plenty of restaurants to hang out and watch the world go by:

Actually it's all dive shops and tourist oriented places down at the beach. It you head up the hill on the back roads you will find the real people:

The prices are half up the hill in the grocery stores and local eateries.

more later…..