View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,551
Hacking the CDT, north to south, August 2013

EDIT: currently three sidecars "IN", two sidecars "maybe", who else wants to join up? Solo bikes as well as sidecars welcome.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Me and Kirby are gonna try hacking the CDT, north to south, this summer. The plan is to attend the Bigfoot Rendezvous

(here)

July 26-28 at the Toad Rock Campground (here), Kootenay Lake, British Columbia (here), then launch from there.

Ride right on up to Banff through Revelstoke, then start following Cannonshot's .gpx route
(here) all the way to Mexico.

That means we'll leave Banff on July 30. No timetable after Day 1. No target end date.

We're OK with going it alone, but wanted to post up in case there are some other inmates who might want to jump on board. If you're anything like me, right around this time of year you're trying to figger out your riding schedule for the summer, so that's why I'm posting this thread up now.

Me and The Kirbs--61-year old rider with moderately OK driving skills. WUMPA is my rig and Kirby is my navigator. Pic of both below. Some guys I ride with think I'm pretty good and others call me a novice. Truth is somewhere in between. Experienced backcountry camper. Kirbs is 4-years old, pretty well-behaved, his most annoying behavior is being too frickin friendly with total strangers. Coincidentally, that's my most annoying behavior too.

I don't smoke or do drugs, but I'm OK with both. Booze is my thing.

You--Competent and confident but not a hotrodder. Me and the Kirbs don't usually do more than 200 mile days unless there's pavement involved. Hacks welcome of course but solo bikes are OK too--just don't expect me to haul your shit for you. We might share some gear (tents, cookgear) but I'm loaded down heavy enough as it is. If you're a Ural guy, this is mostly a dirt ride so I don't see a problem with you not having a top end. If yer on a hard-charging dual sport, my rig can't go where you go.

The Ride--I like to keep expenses down so camping mostly, maybe 1 night in 5 in a motel. Breakfast and dinner over the cookstove, with store-bought lunches. I like to be on the bike by 8am but for every morning I get out of camp by 7am there's another when I get out by 9am. I'm not a wrench, but wouldn't mind at all if you got that know-how. I'm not into making detailed ride plans but if you're into that kind of thing I'm OK with that as long as you're flexible.

Rules--just like going to dinner at the in-laws. No religion. No politics.

PM me if you think you're interested. We can trade PM's or talk on the phone to see if we're simpatico.

DRONE screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 08:12 PM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote