View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #46
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I think Stock gearing on the WRR is around 13/43 (13/42 on the WRX) This gearing is terribly high. Most guys guy up on the rear quite a bit which does require a longer chain from stock, but once you get a longer chain, you have a lot of options to run with out changing your chain.

What you don't want to do is drop to a 12 front. That small of a sprocket puts a lot of stress on your chain and the WRR is bad about eating through the plastic protection on the swingarm and then eating through your swingarm if you let it go that far.

Most people gear their bikes like a 13/45 - 13/49 depending on their preference. However, another popular gearing is going up to a 14 front and running like 14/50 or something like that. This also helps keep the chain away from the swingarm. If you were running 14/50, you can easily drop to a 13 if you feel like without taking out a link and that leaves you at 13/50 which is pretty low gearing.

Really though running something like 13/47 all the time isn't bad. I believe that is the gearing I'm running.

Thanks for the insight on this. Has some entrepreneur developed an alternative swing arm protector? I saw a pretty ugly picture of what can happen when the chain rubs there.

8gv screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 07:40 AM
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote