View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
kougan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
I'm a heat gun supporter as well.

Not so sure I like the blackened bearings. Would it not show that the bearings have been spinning in the cover?

I wouldn't put it back together without changing the bearings. They are reasonably cheap.

A thorough rinse of all shafts and selector mechanism in a tub of petrol (or proper safe fluid ) to remove any crud.........there will be crud.
I agree with you on the bearings possibly spinning in the cover. May as well replace them while I've got the box open, along with the springs, which I've heard tend to fail in time. Everything else looks to be fine though. I'll take the advice and try a heat gun on the other two shafts. The torch isn't cutting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
Did the clutch work ok or did it grab a little?

I had the spot welds on my clutch come adrift a few years ago made the clutch grabby and also made some very strange noises but appeared to work fine apart from those issues. When It finally got to the point that it wasn't adjusting properly I pulled the gearbox and found the pushrod snapped and the pop rivets all adrift. I'd check the clutch while your in there. You can see the chatter marks on the clutch plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Very good, Rob. I have a high-mileage /5 clutch (188K over 40 years on the clutch plates) that has been through three clutch friction discs (and diaphragm springs). The pressure pieces, being worn, were to be remachined by Southland Clutch, but I was having concerns about the pressure plate and those spot welds to the sheet-metal pan a that mileage. I'm not hard on a clutch, but it seems that the pressure plate might be the weak point here. I'll evaluate it, but I'm inclined to replace with new rather than patch the old part.

--Bill
The clutch did seem a bit grabby, but again, I really didn't test it's rideability, for fear of making symptoms worse.

Looking at your pic of the chatter marks on the clutch plate, I'm thinking something similar happened in my case. Hopefully I can find the time to get to that clutch this week.
kougan is offline   Reply With Quote