View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #386
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcshew View Post
My riding will be 80-90% dirt : 10-20% street. I have a 06 YZ250 2t for 100% off road and enduro racing. I'm probably going to install the Rekluse auto clutch on the 520, and if it works out well, I'll probably use the 520 for everything.

With the 6.9 gallon tank on my XRR, I and can ride a 250+ mile loop without having to stop for gas. I'd like to have a good idea what the mpg is for the 520, so I can plan my rides. I know the mpg depends on speed and terrain, but if anyone can give me an average mpg, Iíd appreciate it.

I donít understand the manufacturers sell their DS bikes with those itty bitty 2 gallon tanks!
With the Clark 3.8 gallon tank on a de-smogged 2011 520 RS running 14 x 48 gearing and JD jet kit for low elevation with FMF Q pipe carrying lots of off-road tools, tubes and 2 gallons of extra fuel, a gallon of water, etc. rider weight without riding gear of 200 lbs, running Maxxis Desert ITs and ultra-heavy-duty tubes I got 140+ miles out of a tank. I was riding fairly quickly, mostly high gears, probably 60-80% WOT over mostly open, but varied terrain dirt.

I was consciously riding one gear higher when I could in order to conserve fuel. Your results may vary.