View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Long term KLX250S review

I've no hope of this generating the interest of Eeyore's great ULY thread but since a number of folks have expressed interest in the new (to the US market ) '06 KLX250S, I'll post my ownership experiences here.

I took delivery of the first one my dealer received at lunch today. What a sweet little bike! My prior dual sport riding has been almost entirely on KLR650s so my impressions will be tainted accordingly. Also, just let me say thanks to everyone that shared their limited first hand information on this new bike and their speculation on what this bike would be like compared to my old KLR and my other choice, the DRZ-400S.

I only have 25 miles on the bike so far but it's love at first ride! It's so light and agile compared to the 650 and of course, the suspension is worlds better.

The Dunlop 603s seem to work very well on the street and the short hop I took down a loose gravel road felt just like knobbies should.

The most pleasant surprise is the over-drive 6th gear (0.904 according to the owners manual). It will have no problem on the highway even with my fat butt loading it down. What will be a problem is keeping under 4K RPM for the 500 mile breakin period. That's just not going to be possible. This bike begs to be revved.

Now, can anyone help a suspension noob with some basic setup info? This thing has more adjustments than all my previous bikes put together ;-)

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote