View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,839
Not sure Paul what to add, checked out your map for Sud Amerika, looks like you didn't ride Ruta 40 in Patagonia. That's a rough road and much like Russia and Mongolia gravel highways.

Ruta 40 would have given you a better idea of what to prepare for mechanically, mentally and physically but the fact that SA highways didn't killyou say much good about your paved road riding.

Did youdo much dirt in Alaska?

I have ridden South Amerika down and back and it was challanging but Russia and Mongolia are life threatening in ways that mimic the worst of SA. Much of my ride was dirt and gravel-7 time zones.

So it's much longer and the only way out is by train or plane if you don't ride your machine out.

Suspension is critical in Russia because the dirt is rough(potholes)and fast but more on that after you start to wear in your new ride and get closer.

I'd love to see you make it across on your KTM and though my knowledge of Russia is getting dated, I'll help you any way I can.

I used Horizons to establish Russian contacts who met me in Vladivostok...that was very helpfull when they were sober.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote