View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Not sure Paul what to add, checked out your map for Sud Amerika, looks like you didn't ride Ruta 40 in Patagonia. That's a rough road and much like Russia and Mongolia gravel highways.

Ruta 40 would have given you a better idea of what to prepare for mechanically, mentally and physically but the fact that SA highways didn't killyou say much good about your paved road riding.

Did youdo much dirt in Alaska?

I have ridden South Amerika down and back and it was challanging but Russia and Mongolia are life threatening in ways that mimic the worst of SA. Much of my ride was dirt and gravel-7 time zones.

So it's much longer and the only way out is by train or plane if you don't ride your machine out.

Suspension is critical in Russia because the dirt is rough(potholes)and fast but more on that after you start to wear in your new ride and get closer.

I'd love to see you make it across on your KTM and though my knowledge of Russia is getting dated, I'll help you any way I can.

I used Horizons to establish Russian contacts who met me in Vladivostok...that was very helpfull when they were sober.
bill
i did Ushuaia northwards in 2011 all the way to prudhoe bay, click in my profile for the other ride report, loads of dirt in every country and state, but it would have been more fun on this KTM

who is the best suspension guy for these models?

thanks for the offer of Russia info, between you and Walter (Colebatch) i should be covered but that is literally years away, as i'll head west thru India/ Pakistan/ Middle East and Europe before i loop back to do Russia and Mongolia, west to east and then back east to west

good to have along for the ride
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote