View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
You could run the dino, change it often, especially if you wind up heating up a lot in traffic. The good part is that an oil change on the SE is quick and easy, and 20-50 4T dino oil is available at just about every street corner moto shop. The longest I went on dino oil was about 7500 kms, and it was absolutely burnt to shit, but the bike was shifting poorly before that, so I knew the oil was breaking down. That LC8 does run hot normally, so the synth oil lasts longer IMO. I would change the dino out at about 2000-3000 kms and see how it looks/smells. I only ran dino oil a handful of times. The rest of the time I found full synth. You can always try the Mobil 1 car oil and run it for 7,500 kms without worry. Like I said, I used it several times without issue to the clutch, but that was a couple years ago, so the Mobil 1 may include friction modifiers now, I just dont know for sure.

Full synth moto specific oil in Latin America will run you about 20 bucks a liter, but its not that much less in the states either. The biggest difference that I noticed with dino oil, change interval notwithstanding, was that the bike did not shift as smoothly as it did with a good full synth oil. That LC8 has a buttery smooth gear box normally, so you will probably notice it not shifting up to par.

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 01:25 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote