Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #27538
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
My ride yesterday had a humbling moment. I am by no means an expert rider, and I am not that fast either. But, I have a ton of fun on the trails and I am getting faster/smoother the more I ride.

Yesterday there were these two kids at the start of the trail needing help with the rear hub on one of their single speed MTBs (they both were on singles). I lent them my Allen wrenches and stayed around in case they needed help. Well, they finally got the hub aligned, so I took off on the trail while they talked a few more minutes.

Well, about 2 miles into the ride they come blasting past me, radio blaring, both singing at the top of their lungs, "I wear my sunglasses at night!" Talk about having fun! I tried to keep up, but these kids were flying on their single speeds and I was already huffing and puffing so keeping up was a loosing effort!

Lessons of the day: 1) Ride more 2) Have even more fun 3) Loose weight.

Overall, even though my legs were shot from the beginning, it was still fun to be out on the trail.

Great story! Last summer I fulfilled a lifelong dream and rode my bicycle in the mountains of CO. I am 50 and look pretty fit. I'm in OK bicycling shape. My typical ride down here below sea level in NOLA is 20-30 miles at about a 17MPH pace. I decided to tackle Independence Pass. I knew enough about my below sea level lungs to know that I really had to pace myself. Nevertheless as I was just a few curves from the summit I was starting to feel pretty good about myself. About that time a 60 something year old lady came blasting past me like I was sitting still.

I shelved my pride some time ago and do it just for the fun of it. My sole goal when I go out pedaling is to have fun. Well that and I try not to get run over.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote