View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
-Macca- OP
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 81
I continued in a westerly sort of direction along the "back" highways, going through St Arnaud, and then Donald. Scooting down the main street of Donald, I copped a whiff of coffee, so did a u-turn for a decent coffee. Right temperature, right amount of froth, right amount of coffee. While enjoying the coffee, I was amazed how Donald didn't come to life until 5 to 9, then it was bedlam!

I was aiming for the town of Rainbow, so headed across towards Warracknabeal. Pulling up in Warracknabeal, I saw something I hadn't seen for the last couple of hundred km's - water on the ground!:

After chucking a couple of rocks in (what else do you do with a body of water?!), I continued on up to Rainbow. There's lots of sky, and lots of stubble out there:

I was finding that it was stinking hot when the sun was out, but while under cloud cover it was very nice - warm air temps without the cooking effect of the sunshine.

So, I pulled into Rainbow. Like most small towns, there are a lot of closed shops, but there are some new ones, and some restored ones too:

Don't let it ever be said that Rainbow is an unfriendly town. The ONLY people I saw that didn't stop/come over/wave me down for a chat were the girls behind the counter in the cafe. Everyone else wanted to talk.

After being in Rainbow for near on an hour (chatting), I saddled back up and headed out towards Lake Hindmarsh.

One of my 4x4 mates asked me to stop by Outlook Ck at the north end of Lake Hindmarsh and let him know how well it was flowing. Well, with the tide (in a non tidal lake) being this far out, safe to say that Outlet Ck was dry:

There were a bunch of these out on the lake bed:

and futher out (in the mud that I couldn't get to without needed a bath afterwards) there was even more.

I'd decided last night that I was heading for Nhill today to stock up. I headed SouthWest, and made the turn onto Netting Fence Tk - my first real 'off-bitumen' on this trip.

Along here I found my GPS turned it self off. I turned it back on, and found later it had turned off again. I fought with the little shit of a device for the next couple of days until I found the solution just before I got home..

I stopped at Herman's Hill, with all the best intentions of walking to the top and taking a couple of pics. Well, you can stick that idea where the sun doesn't shine. It was too hot, the sand was too soft, and there were too many little bastard flies.

There's some old houses out there:

and some big tree's amongst the fields of stubble:

So I got into Nhill. I needed more drinks, a steak for tonight, and to find a bike shop. My goggles use a "quickstrap" (stud on one side of helmet and velcro spot the other side to hold goggles on) rather than the traditional full strap. Unfortunately, between the thunderstorm last night, and the heat today, the velcro spot had let go and so my goggles kept falling off.

Would you believe that there is NOT a bike shop in Nhill? Closest is Horsham. I stopped in at the Ag shop (as they had a big Polaris sign out the front) hoping that they'd have helmets &/or Goggles they would sell along with quads, but no. Apparently they have a hard time even selling helmets, let alone goggles. Oh well, sunglasses it is then.
-Macca- is online now   Reply With Quote