View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #54739
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksinha88 View Post
So I found my Honda Manual and went ahead and took the left C.Cover off to take care of the hole in the case from the thrown chain. The actual block is good but the case had a dime size chunk missing under where I had patched it with JPweld

So I just have to go ahead and replace the cover but additionally, the Rubber plug thing on the Stator wire going out is beat up pretty good too. I figured if i'm gonna be clippin wires to get the rubber seal in, I might as well upgrade the damn stator itself since I'll be running HID projectors and heated gear + gps etc here soon.

I found one on the PRO CYCLE website that boasts of 260watts for $130

http://procycle.us/bikepages/xr650l.html#electrical. I cant seem to find any other option besides getting the coils rewound which is too much work. So here are my questions

1. The best place to get a case cover? are Ebay and the stock OEM replacement my only options? Anywhere else I could save a bit of $$$?

2. If I upgrade to the 260watt stator, do I need to upgrade anything else on the bike?? Sorry, I know as much about electrical systems as we know about the Lochness Monster!

3. Before I took the cover off I lightly degreased the motor and washed it with low pressure water to get mud and dirt off. When I took the cover off the little bit of oil in there was milky. Clearly water got in. When I put it back together should I just try to do 2 quick oil changes and try to get it out or is there anything else I should be doing??

Thanks for all you help and taking care of a rookie
The question I have about that stator is at what RPM does it put out 260w? There are Honda stators that can be swapped if you're really interested but will cost more. Buuut you can run some additional load on the stock stator- you have ~180w to work with so add all the wattages up. Also, switching to LED dash and taillight will be a much easier/cheaper way to free up some power. Leave the directionals stock because they are nice and bright, unless you drive around with them on all the time.

You may be able to add something like Hylomar around that grommet to seal it up, or carefully cut it off and seal that cavity with high temp RTV.

If you upgrade the stator, you might consider upgrading the regulator/rectifier. But shunting regulators like these are happier running bigger loads, as long as they are not exceeding their power rating.