View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #7012
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpadeCycles View Post
Have any of you guys had any problems with gears slipping on any of the older XR6's? I have an 88 model with a fair bit of work done but the engine has never been apart to my knowledge.

I'm officially the 4th owner but when I went to title and register the bike as a street legal DS bike I tracked it down to the original owner and he explained the bike had been stolen from him back in 1990. He was totally cool and just signed over the old title to me, mostly he was please to finally find out about what happened to his forest friend.

Over the last couple years that I've owned it, I've noticed that occasionally it will slip or feel like teeth are missing in 3rd gear as I'm accelerating hard to 4th gear. I only notice it on the pavement and only if I'm really pushing it, its almost a feeling of very slight wheel spin on loose dirt, then it catches and runs fine. And it only usually happens once while in 3rd going to 4th. I've honestly never tried to just ride it in 3rd to see if I can get it to slip repeatedly either.

I'm a little hesitent to pull the motor and split the cases to find out that nothing is really wrong but I was mostly wondering if this might be a common problem for our big pigs. Anyone else feel this happens to them? I've checked the oil every time I've changed it and nothing metal is showing itself but again, this could have happened years ago with a previous owner.

Thanks for your input. Later Travis
Evidently some of the '80s XR600s did have problems with 3rd gear. What you're describing sounds like the gear isn't engaging fully into the "dogs" and/or the dogs are rounding off. Or, possibly a bent shift fork which would also cause that to happen. Regardless, you're going to have to pull it apart and repair it. It will only get worse if you don't.