View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #79
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
I think if you are going to be 2 up then the actual bike weight probably matters a lot less given the weight of 2 people plus gear.

I think about 80HP at sea level works well due to the loss of probably 30HP at 5000m.

I'll get out of your way now Paul, thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forwards to seeing what you build, I'm still amazed you managed to find that bike with such a low mileage.

cheers dave
two up riding is a whole different animal than what i'm looking at here, i'm looking at soft luggage, minimal everything basically, lots of time away from civilization to places that have minimal bike tracks whenever possible and is geared towards my selfishness of wanting to go where i want to go and not having to worry if the bike can come along, and more to the point get back wink:

my build is geared more towards what you have been reading in Walter Colebatch's ride report

also i wouldn't take riding at 5000 meter into consideration unless you are spending a lot of time in the Himalayas around Nepal or the Andes...i would be looking more at averages 1500-3000 meters....i think a more suitable bike for what you are talking about maybe a BMW F800 or the Triumph XC 800 with the new huge aftermarket gas tank
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote