View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #219
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
I made up some aluminum brackets and mounted a couple of Led liscence plate bolts facing rearward.
They seem to be super for increased visibility, and together don't even draw a watt.
I hope I don't get any grief from police over them.

With the mobile texters on the road today I am trying to be as visible as possible, not to mention the drunks and medicated.I was hit from behind on a bike years ago.
I also worked on the heated grips and power point wiring.I am running the heated grips through a mini relay so the switch can live a longer life.
I considered eliminating the heated grips because they don't get as hot as I would like but decided to keep them.I powered them up and shot the temp with a laser temp gun and got around a 100-105 surface temp on the grip itself so I guess that is better than nothing when your cold.
Hopefully I don't catch any flak though on the led rear lights, does anyone have any experience with this, as far as issues with the law ?
Don't know about Michigan, but CHP out here are not fond of BLUE lights on back of a bike. Not sure about Green. Probably OK.

Heated grip tips.
I run the typical Dual Star/Symtec kit on my DR650. It's not bad but if temps get below about 32F, can't be felt much... but ALWAYS better than nothing.
Super thick gloves keep you warmer ... but means you may not feel your heated grips much. Compromise.

1. insulate handlebar with elec. tape or ? ... then use a THIN rubber grip over the heating element. Thick grips suck up all the heat.
2. Some Vendors offer "Snow Mobile" heated grips. These are higher output. Use caution if you use a plastic throttle tube. The Snow Mobile grips can MELT the throttle tube. Many buy the Renthal ALU tube so no melting!

Good grounds and clean routing are important. The DR650 only puts out 200W total ... so we have to "budget" elec. output. I run 35W HID light to conserve juice ... which tends to help up the output on the grips a bit. I also run a 77W Gerbing.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote