View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #3353
Notaduke
Migration to offroad

Oddometer: 36
What am I missing?

Miraculously, I returned to where I recall detecting the change in exhaust note to search for the screen/screw retainer, and actually found both!

I suspect there must be something missing still, although I have both parts, since the the diameter of the screen (shaped like a bottle cap) is considerably smaller than the screw retainer. Does the proper screen have some sort of ring that the perforated bottle cap attaches to?

Hopefully I finally figured out how to post a picture image!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notaduke View Post
I just lost my first screen...should have read this thread earlier!

It certainly makes a difference in the sound, but I also noticed a simultaneous and considerable increase in backfire upon decel. Is that typical when you lose the screen?

Bike has 6 hrs on it, and backfired a small amount up until the change in exhaust note, which I am attributing to the lost screen, although I don't know if the screen departed at exactly the same time as the exhaust note changed. The backfire now also occurs slightly when closing throttle to shift up.

I can't get a replacement part for a week or so. Is it dangerous for the engine to run it with that much backfire? Is there another possible cause for sudden change in exhaust note and increase in backfire. This occured while accelerating hard up a hill, coming out of a turn.

Notaduke screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 06:40 PM Reason: image posting problems
Notaduke is offline   Reply With Quote