View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #71
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
San Francisco to Montara, Wednesday, 1 August 2012, Day 58

Lighthouse Accommodation[/caption]

Woke up in my cupboard to the sounds of Pieter singing the little drummer boy song by Bing Crosby/David Bowie and it has been in my head all day Cheers mate :-) Early start but I guess that what happens when you have a young family with you. I said Ta Ta to the Paarsen family it was good to see you and headed to the nearest Safeway/Starbucks for breakfast to figure the plan for today.

Pieter and Annemieke[/caption]

Going into San Francisco to see if I can find somewhere reasonable to stay but this plan fails miserably cannot found anywhere to park the bike without paying and the hostels are all full or expensive so plan B kicks in. Not really in a busy city mood at the moment so decide to the 49 miles scenic drive around town and head out to Monterey. Keen to get back on them twisty roads rather than fight downtown traffic. Loose the signs for the 49 miles scenic drive after taking about 20 minutes to get on it and lost after about 30 minutes so as I am on the far side of San Francisco I now punch in Monterey on my GPS and head back to Pacific Highway Number 1.

Alcatraz[/caption]

I am in a bit of funny mood my guts are rotten and I think I am well knackered after yesterday hard physical ride so when I see a sign for a hostel 30 mile outside of San Francisco and I pull over to take a look at it and it is this gorgeous lighthouse keeper house turned into a hostel. Its only 2 pm but I decide I like this place and I want to stay here so onto plan C. They have a place yay but cannot check in until 3.30 so go for s ride to the nearest supermarket get some vitals for the evening and I am back and checked in by 4. The weather is still overcast and not so warm but hang around the lighthouse where they have their own little beach and great views which will be even better if the clouds ever lift. It is 10 pm and I have just been chilling around this place for the last 6 hours good call to stop needed this little break.

Lighthouse home for tonight[/caption]

Tomorrow*Hearst castle been there twice before but I find the place fascinating so will be making it a hat trick.

A couple of days ago in Oregon there was another lighthouse which had a gorgeous B&B in the old Lighthouse keeper house room that started from 250 USD per night. Seemingly there was a 7-course breakfast with full guide and history tour of the food and the lighthouse. I really wanted to stay there but well beyond my budget and then a couple of days later same set up only a hostel for 26 USD and I will go to Safeway’s for breakfast down the road how cool is that :-)
dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote