Thread: Drz400 Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #18140
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
I recently bought a nearly new 2012 DRZ400 that runs and handles great. I am moving from a KTM 640 adventure. This bike is hands down better for just about everything except, the 640 would cruise at 90 all day if you wanted The DRZ seems to do the same minus 10 or 15 mph, that makes it the perfect bike for me.
first up was to mount my Zega bags. I scored the SW Mototech mounts and so far I love them.

I started to inspect the bike, starting with the front wheel. I read about the lack of grease in the steering head. Turns out it was bone dry on the bottom bearing.

not one speck of grease.
I noticed a rather crude bend in the front down tube and thought this must be the final tweek to get the geometry right.

the paint looks un touched and the stickers look good so I guess this was a factory adjustment.
After getting the front end back together I started to look at rejetting the carb. Once started I found the clamps holding the carb to be completely loose and finally removed it after some wiggling and loosening of the rear sub frame. Waiting for a jetting kit now and next up will be the swing arm. I expect it to be in the same condition as the steering head.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote