View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #83
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Santa Rosa to Amarillo, Monday, 13 August 2012, Day 70

Route 66 or whats left of it[/caption]

Not sure what time I got up as I am still a bit confused on the time zones and for me it does not really matter. Well actually it does missed McDonald’s Egg McMuffin by 10 minutes great start to the day. I am desperately looking for inspirations or something to get excited about so after failing at breakfast decided to go and look for the lakes I saw on the bill board I saw yesterday so headed of to Santa Rosa Lakes State Park. Well considering I am in the middle of desert and it has been 30 plus centigrade for the last weeks not sure what I was expecting. (It was raining last night I know this as the owner of the motel was banging on my door late last night telling me if I wanted I could move my bike under cover so that it did not get wet which was nice only in the fleapits I am staying when there someone banging on your door ones does tend to crap one pants!) So here I was headed for the lakes in a desert well you guessed it just a dried out small puddle oh well very little inspiration there or in Santa Rosa so decided to treat myself to a Denny breakfast. On the way in there were a French guy and a whole load of Harley's. He asked me about my trip and bike and I told him briefly and said goodbye as it was hot and as I had come so far I needed some breakfast and walked into Denny’s I could hear him recanting my story in French to all his Harley's pals excitedly which made me feel quite cool and nonchalant all at the same time. Complaining about not talking to anybody and just walked away from an audience but in my defence I needed a coffee :-)

Finally got out of Santa Rosa at about 12 and continued to play hide and seek with Route 66. Well I was looking for excitement and today I found it not sure I need it in this kind of dosage but certainly got the old ticker working and cost me a pair of underpants.

Route 66 New Mexico

Had turned of the freeway trying to find the illusive route 66. On my GPS is said you are travelling on historical route 66 no road showing however but heading east so just kept rolling. All of sudden the road turned from tarmac to dirt track. Hammered on the breaks as soon as I spotted this to wash of as much speed off before I hit the dirt the ABS going into overtime. So down to a slower pace the road is dirt but hard and compact with the odd sharp rocks so decide to continue pace picking up as you know this fella has done the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle so this bit of dirt no problem. Getting braver and getting faster and faster when all of a sudden it goes all pear shape and the bike goes all wobbly and loose under me front wheel digs in I am flying all over the place. Now in the manual it says best way to handle a situation like this is to accelerate through this well bollocks to that I was off the throttle in no time which did not help the situation and I managed to wrestle the bike to a standstill which seem to take a long time and was all over the road but least when it was stopped I maybe in control of the bucking beast. Finally stopped remembered to breath and then look down to see which of tyres where flat as I presumed I had just a big tyre blow out nope both looked fine except they where both buried in 2 to 3 inches of sand. So the hard dirt track I was following just turned into a sand road with no warning except the bike wanting to throw me off and by then it was too late. Shaking like a leaf pulled forward and it was hard going in the soft sand every time I picked up a little speed the front wheel dug in and decided it no longer wanted to cooperated with the instructions it was getting from me so I was down to a snail's pace confidence totally shot in the middle of who knows where no one around for miles around this went on for a couple more miles felt like longer then the road turned back to Tarmac much to my relief. Pulled over had a pee and just started to giggle. That was a close call to close. I keep getting let down by my off-road skills I was looking for excitement well I just got it in spades can we go back to dull ville please.

I was just 1 mile short of the Texas State line so another State to add to my ever-growing list and back on the boring I40 where I kept seeing signs for a cheap motel in Amarillo with a swimming pool which seem very tempting considering the temperature and my motocross exertions. It was early but I had lost another hour as I crossed into Texas and I had had enough for one day. One final stop before I hit Amarillo the famous Cadillac Ranch a public art installations of about 10 Cadillac half buried in a Field. Had a wonder round here which was nice except for all the empty aerosols canister lying all over the field there where thousands of them. Not sure if was the original intention that they all get covered with graffiti and if was there is no need to leave the empty canister lying around spoilt it a wee bit in my view but maybe the graffiti has added something to the piece.

Cadillac Ranch Amarillo[/caption]

Swimming pool here I come as it now about 40 centigrade find the place and yes the sign says 29.95 per night but guess what when I go in and ask that rate is only if I have a sick relative staying in the hospital down the road! What a load of bollocks I had seen about 10 signs since New Mexico for this place and then they pull this kind of Bollocks so Executive Inn Amarillo you can eat my shorts the ones I was wearing today which you can imagine are not very pleasant. Final rant I am getting sick of huge saying one thing only to found out they are totally meaningless should not be allowed. So found a place round the corner where they did honour the huge sign outside and they had a pool as well but it was tiny more like a large bath so gave that a miss. So again I am in cheap motel on the outskirts of town tonight walked to a huge shopping mall for the Food Court for me dinner but have not seen much of Amarillo as I do want to get on the bike after a long day in the saddle but guess I will have to start doing this or it is going to be very boring through the rest of the States. Need to get some kind of plan together on what I am going to do as what I am doing it not that exciting and the only buzz I get is when I nearly hurt myself so back to the drawing board me thinks! Good news is this blog is now up to date all I need to do is publish it.
dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote