View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #84
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Amarillo to Elk City, Tuesday, 14 August 2012, Day 71

Only in Texas[/caption]

Todays highlight was a huge cross in a place called Groom. Well I am in Texas so I guess they had to have the biggest one! I have no idea why it's there as I am in the middle of nowhere there where a whole load of other religious sculptures at the place to all in all very strange. The signage amused me the most they said “Keep off not responsible for accidents” We know that allegedly the fella who’s sculpture you trying to keep folk of is responsible or am I missing something :-) Made me giggle.

Bloody Big Cross[/caption]

Slow hot day did not get out of Amarillo till after 12 as I needed to find a Suzuki dealer to replace the bolt that was missing that held me petrol tank in place. No problems easy fix but took time to find the place and get the right bolt and you do not move to fast in this kind of heat.

Afterwards had breakfast at a Donut place and got chatting to an ex retired air force guy who had been stationed in the UK. It was cool in the Café and reluctant to get out into the heat outside and they had donuts. So finally got going trying to track the elusive 66, which kept appearing then disappearing. Just grinding out the miles trying to find something interesting to see but not being that successful all I got today was a bloody huge cross.

Route 66 Texas[/caption]

The heat sucks the life out of you and it has been very windy the last couple of days so like riding with someone pointing a huge hairdryer at you yes even the winds are a hot ones. So at about 5.30 started to look for a Motel. The first one that looked affordable was an Ex Motel 6 well I thought it was but the owner a nice catholic Indian chap* (Not sure why his religion is relevant but he wanted to be sure I knew and there where pictures of the last supper in the reception and lots of useful quotations from the good book all over the place) he claimed it was a Motel 6 but I am not sure as the signage was decrepit and all Motel 6 logos been eliminated so it may had been in the past but doubt if it is now. Good thing about Indian Motel owners is that they are always ready to haggle. Did not do so well but got a reduced rate but as it was just starting to rain outside I think he had me over a barrel as I was hot sweaty and tired and did not fancy getting an external warm shower. As usual motel on the outskirts of town next to the freeway but fortunately a nice little Italian restaurant just across the road so spaghetti sausage and meatballs for dinner and back to the motel room for the rest of the evening who said travelling was glamorous and exciting?

dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote