View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #96
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Niagara Falls to Lock Haven, Sunday, 26 August 2012, Day 83

Kinzua National Park[/caption]

On the road again itís hot again last drive past the fallís and heading for the USA again. Big queues at the border but no problem getting back in except that the custom guy did not have available box to tick for the Netherlands for where the bike had come from so it went down as Mexican and other. Plan is to try to get to Washington DC in 2 day riding even with all my going of in the wrong directions it should be doable. I could not do a road trip of the US without picking up the nation capital. So first hurdle was to get it into my GPS.

Washington, D.C., formerly the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington, "the District", or simply D.C., is the capital of the United States. On July 16, 1790, the Residence Act approved the creation of a capital district located along the Potomac River on the country's East Coast. As permitted by the U.S. Constitution, the District is under the exclusive jurisdiction of the United States Congress and is therefore not a part of any U.S. state.

What state is Washington DC in as that what the GPS needs to know but try telling it the above and it will not have it final figured out how to put it in :-)

So Butch :-)[/caption]

Quite an uneventful put pleasant day stopped at the Zippo factory in Bradford Pennsylvania which was interesting and there I picked up a map which had some scenic routes in the State so decided to follow the as long as I was heading in a South easterly direction I was moving closer to Washington DC.

Zippo Factory Bradford PN[/caption]

That is the theory but in reality probably added loads of extra miles but who cares when the miles are interesting. Found an interesting State park called Kinzua where there used to be a huge steel railway bridge across a valley but this was blown over by a tornado in 2003 so what left they have turned into a walkway where you can walk out over the valley really cool and great views. Not for vertigo sufferers.

Kinzua Bridge State Park[/caption]

Later following one of the scenic routes it started to cool down and the wind picked up which was nice as it had been hot all day but when this happens it normal means its going to rain. It was late so I was going to call it a day and was already looking for cheap motels of which there where not many around. Just checked out one but to expensive for my budget so said no thanks and hit the road again just then it began to spit oops regretting my decision already then the skies opened and it absolutely chucked it down before I knew could not see a thing water everywhere soaked to the skin finally was able to pull of the road (not easy in the US) into a lay by and took shelter in a smelly invalid porter loo. It was dry and only shelter I could find to pull on my waterproof's which was pointless really as I was already soaked but it was still pissing down hard. So after a nice day riding last hours in the wet finally found a motel not many around here and it was more expensive than the one I had declined earlier but I was wet and knackered so bollocks to the budget. Dinner tonight something nuked (Microwaved) from Wal-Mart and because I was wet I decided a treat was needed so a whole chocolate Swiss Roll and again trying and failing to get this blog up to date keep finding other things more interesting to do.
dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote