View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #98
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Washington DC, Tuesday, 28 August 2012, Day 85

Washington DC[/caption]

My poor little legs I have walked for miles today. Left the hostel at 9 and got back at 9 so that 12 hours and I have been on my feet walking all day think I did about 20 odd km. But it was worth it I did all the sights in Washington

• White House

• Vietnam Memorial

• Lincoln Memorial

• Korea Memorial

• WW2 Memorial

• Martin Luther King Memorial

• Roosevelt Memorial

• Jefferson Memorial

• Capitol Hill

• Union Station

• Smithsonian Space and Aircraft Museum

And loads more. Very reflective day probably due to the recurring theme in the above list that being Memorial. *It was also another scorcher so my poor little nose got burnt yet again. The many Memorials I saw where all different and all fascinating in their own right and what struck me where the number of dead and as was stated on a few of the monuments that is the price of freedom. At the Lincoln memorial there where school children who were allowed to stand where MLK had stood and did I have a dream speech and they gave a couple of minutes of their hopes and dreams. The ones that appealed to me most where not of Peace and to stop world hunger and curing cancer of which there where loads but the simple one like be a nicer person or make lots of friends or have a good school year or get better at math’s that what kids should be thinking about having fun and leaving the biggies for the grown ups to try to figure out.

Pretty damned good day liked Washington and even had ambitions after I got back to the hostel to go again and see the sights when lit up at night but like all my over ambitious plan scuppered by the fact I am only human and there is only so much I can do it one day so once in I did not go out again but got chatting to folks at the hostel and again still have not worked on updating this really behind now.
dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote