Thread: XR650R Thread!
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #16176
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
getting my parts list for 2013 ready, including the oil sight tube. for anybody who has done it, would the rotating swageloc fitting fit the bill, or would it cause issues? Here is the LINK to the fitting.

Mitchn06, I have 13 years experience with hydraulic/ pneumatic equipment and IMO I would prefer to use a tapered fitting ( BSPT or NPT) for this application. Using the parallel thread that you have shown in the link would be great if you could ensure the sealing surface it was going to mate to was indeed flat. A tapered thread will be cheaper as well.
In all honesty I would use a brass fitting and tapered NPT or BSPT, these are a dime-a-dozen as opposed to the Swagelok fittings in SS316.
However when using compression fittings and clear nylon tube as seen in this modification it would be wise to use a spigot. It is basically a small tube type design that slides up the internal ID of the tubing and this allows the compression olive to bite into the tubing a bit better, provides a backbone to the connection.
These compression fittings are usually used with steel tubing, when an olive compresses onto the tube it will not deform like a piece of flexible clear nylon tube will. Thus allowing the olive to bite into the tubing more effectively.

Just my opinion, but save yourself some $$$'s and use a tapered brass fitting with a spigot.
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote