Thread: Drz400 Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #18150
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimo368 View Post
Mars, I came close to buying a 640A before getting the DRZ. Haven't ridden it yet and now wondering how the KTM would be?
I think the DRZ is better. I rallied my 640 in the Mount Hood Rally twice and never really got to stretch it's legs much over 70 mph.

Bikes staged for the Mount Hood Rally

Leaving one of the timed stages

layered for a frigid morning start

I did leave Mountain Home Idaho with a desire to ride in anger once. I made it to Jarbidge Nevada in a little under 90 minutes. Total of 118 miles. I was completely off road all the way and just in the mood for speed. The bike would do 110 tucked in and 90 to 95 standing. I spent most of the trip standing because of road conditions. That's about the only time I would put the 640 over the DRZ.

I was able to get some help with the 640 suspension by some of the Dakar folks at the Dakar Rally Experience. Kellon Walch let me ride his factory Dakar bike and that gave me a bench mark for the suspension. I was able to get the 640 close to that with some drastic suspension changes. I took the DRZ out last weekend on some deep gravel and big wash board surfaces. It did great, I have been afraid to touch the suspension. compression was at 12 clicks and the rebound was a 16.

Personally I would have done better with the DRZ in a rally but I haven't ridden it with lots of gas too. I think one of the problems with the 640 was gas sloshing around in that big tank and it was real heavy if full. Looking back, tank foam is the answer and I will do that to the DRZ when my new 3.9 gallon tank arrives.

Planning to ride the Oklahoma Adventure Route this year and hopefully a trip to Mexico later in the year.

I did like the large road book on the 640 as a factory option. Easy to install and worked great.

Nevada Rally Experience roadbook.

It had a neat glow at night too.

To sum it up, 640 was slow out of the box without considerable de restricting, it was heavy, later bikes just had the 990 suspension slapped on and needed considerable tweaking. good points: very fast after de restricting that included a new muffler, suspension was good and not great after new springs and steering head with damper, handling was slow (this was good at speed), ergonomics were great (I could stand all day on that bike) it was dependable and great range.

liviing in Idaho is great too. Lots of good memories, I feel kind of ship wrecked in OKC now.

I can't wait to get this guy out for a trip.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote