View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #748
Arkwright
Grumpy ole Git

Oddometer: 108
The First One?

This one belongs to Richard A. from the UK!

Quote from Richard A's original post

"The bike is not a prototype in the truest sense, of course, but was the first off the line and recorded by BMW as having been built in May 1980, four months before the presentation to the press in Avignon on September 1st. Whether she was built in Munich (as part of some kind of pre-production series) or the factory in Berlin, I have yet to determine.

I bought her from the 3rd owner in Penzberg, Bavaria in 1997 while I was living and working in Germany in the 90s. The poor thing has been languishing in the back of my garage in the UK since I moved back with all my goods and chattels in 2001, mainly due to my continuing to work outside the UK until recently and having other bike projects on the go.

Hopefully, by posting this into the public arena, I shall feel duty bound to get my act together and start the restoration process. The bike is in reasonable condition, but has had quite a hard life as, I suspect, a works hack and in the hands of the aimiable and, I suspect, very skillfully riding, rocker cover chamfering, Bavarian chap from whom I bought her.

Initially registered officially by first owner BMW Motorrad GmbH on the 3rd September 1980, I would assume that she was running on trade plates prior to that date. I don't know if she was one of the bikes in the press presentation in Avignon, but now I've turned my attention to restoration, I'm going to start doing some research.

In April 1982, she was sold by BMW to a BMW R&D technician who then sold her onto my vendor in April 1984.

I'm going to start a restoration thread in a few weeks and use that to document the process, but I thought I'd post up this contribution to the Monolever thread right now.

Not that I in any way, shape or form would even begin to think that any of you might wonder about the provenance of the bike, but I thought I'd also post a couple of evidential pics to set your minds at rest!

The frame number (that's my Basic glinting in the background, the omega to the alpha of Gro▀mutter, if you get my drift):"

R80 G/S (81)
R100 GSPD (92)

Arkwright screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 11:11 AM Reason: Clarification
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote