View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #5591
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
An issue, I want to be able to put it back on without disassembly. I think all the stuff should stay in place....but no cartridge holding tool. What I'm asking is if the friction from the spring with the forks upside down will hold the cartridge enough to get to the 34 Nm specified?

I took the forks apart Saturday with the air gun, easy. Putting it all back together required a tool I made out of a piece of pipe. If spring tension is all I need, when I go out camping I can screw with the shim removal and not have to mess with pouring back in my already clean oil. I can screw around with the shimming I like. Having an air gun camping will be more trouble than its worth as I wouldn't want to put it on that way and risk stripping it and running the motorhome engine for the air supply is a pain.

Should be a major improvement on rocks? Seems ok now but more is better!
I dodn't have oil in it at the time but I threaded on the top cap, turned it upside down, started the compression unit by hand then compressed the forks and hit it with the gun. I was able to line up the lower end of the dampening rod with my pinkie prior to starting the compression stack, I don't even own one of those tools.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote