View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #225
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Wee and V stroms get blown around BADLY in gusty cross winds. The KLR is pretty stable, not affected like the Wee is, which can have you changing lanes suddenly.
Why is the KLR (gen 1) stable in wind? (I don't mean to hijack the comparison, but hope we can have another parallel discussion.)

There's a question in Trip Planning about riding in wind with top boxes. I was going to respond that it's not usually problem but decided that although I've been out when trees* were being blown over, maybe I just haven't experienced the right winds. I often have a top box on my KLR and only on the KLR.

I also have two 500-lb Honda road bikes. They ought to be similar, right? The CB750 SOHC is stable and planted and precise. The CX500D gets blown around a lot more (the suspension is softer but not as soft as my stock KLR). Both these road bikes use the same soft luggage.

So what gives? Is this a function of rake and trail and sail area at the front wheel? Looking at the KLR I'd immediately conclude: kite. I'd be wrong. Why?

(Is this as bad as a countersteering thread?)

* Fir trees may be stronger than balsa wood, but not by much.

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 04:32 AM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote