View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #89
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt View Post
In my opinion, Bob is dead on with this.

The cup isn't all that complex, it's just if you blink for a moment when putting the pulley over it and on the crank, the cup can shift. The glue is, in my opinion, just to hold it in place while you're tightening down the crank end bolt.

My guess is when they put the cup back on, they let it slip, or trying putting the belt on without loosening the alternator. By doing it without loosening the alternator probably would save ten to twenty minutes in time, for the mechanic.

But it's easy to tighten up the bolt, and feel like you have good tightness, and at the same time, because the cup slid off center, it's being pinched between the pulley and the crank end. Then when running the motor, over time that cup is either going to get loose and wobble, or it's already spinning off center, which would have taken out the sensors. At least that what it sounds like to me, from a gazillion miles away.

Donnie, sounds like you have a good plan to move ahead, by getting the parts from the BMW dealer down there. How many days before you'll have the parts?
I will talk with BMW Guatemala this morning. The email I received last night said no more than two or three days. Guatemala City is only 75 miles from my current location. When my moto was in the shop there I ask about the availability of a Hall Sensor, as I understood it, they were none in stock, but it was within a day's distance. A warehouse somewhere.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote