View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #103
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Robbinsville to Atlanta, Sunday, 2 September 2012, Day 90

Bikers Nirvana[/caption]

Todays the bikers Holy Grail I am going to do the tail of the Dragon

So that is a bit of road that is 11 miles long and has 318 curves crammed into that distance so bring it on.

http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/maps_ridemeposter.html

Left Iron horse with the intention of getting some breakfast before doing the above route but after a pleasant ride to get to the start I pulled up in the meeting spot at Deals Gap and said bollocks I am going for it and so I did.

Jeepers talk about hard work corner after corner some banked some very tight. There is a speed limit of 30mph on the road but at certain points you can even get close to that, as the road is so tight and twisty. Having fun slower cars pulling over to let you through and sometimes you wish they did not as they helped in keeping your speed down and stop you getting to carried away then I hit more traffic that would not pull over and wished they would pull over and let the faster traffic through so you can say I am never happy. And there where photographers on a couple of the bends which you try and pose for but all this does is put you out of your rhythm so instead of looking cool you look like a bit of prick. But off course I am going to order some of these prints

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK019P0D0299&po=14&pc=1148&sf= 1

So get to the end of the road going a bit slower as the bikers coming the other way are giving me the universal tap on the helmet sign meaning slow down coppers down the road as the road was being patrolled by 3 cop cars and cop bike that I saw to keep the idiots in check. So quick rest then I do a U turn (legal one this time) find a gap in the traffic and go for it. Arms are doing overtime with the continued change of direction hard on the brakes then back hard on the throttle using the engine and the gears and trying to pick the perfect lines. The trick is to be as smooth as silk. Meanwhile in the real world I was probably lurching all over the road (my part of the road) either overcooking it or under cooking each bend in the wrong gear and looking like a right twat but I did not give a fig as in my head I was Valentino Rossi. Lot faster run on the way back concentration ruined and knickers soiled this time by prats coming the opposite direction on my side of the road as they where using both lanes because either they had no clue what danger and risks they where adding to all concerned or where out of control going to fast or just selfish twats and they really pissed me off as I am okay in hurting myself through my own incompetence but not by someone else’s.

Got back to Deals Gap the place where everyone congregated and it was already 12 and I still not got round to breakfast so grabbed a pulled pork sandwich (local delicacy) and a coffee and took a look at the Tree of Shame which had all the debris of the many crashes that happen on this fun but treacherous piece of road.

Tree of Shame[/caption]

After a quick breakfast/lunch still pumped full of adrenaline I was keen to get back on the road this time the Cherohala Highway another road similar to the Blue Ridge and the Skyline Parkway which also had a 45mph speed limit but todays it was more difficult to adhere to this as I was all pumped up and all I wanted to do was race.

Cherohala Skyway[/caption]

Managed to contain myself and completed the route in one piece :-) and then put my head down as I wanted to be in Atlanta that evening.

Its not all sunshine![/caption]

I was heading for a Hostel, which I sort of already knew, had no place but then again you never no. Got there and rang on the bell and yes there where no places. Bugger hot and tired after a seriously physical day in the saddle did he know of any other place nope but he would ask Suzie. Suzie heard my accent and suddenly there was a spot as she was also a Brit from South Kensington and it got better as the room had no AC she would do me deal and then she changed her mind and found a bed in a room with AC but I could have it at the special rate. Result next issue in large cities is parking no problem could park round the side even though it said no hostel guest but belonged to the place so not only did I have a bed in a full hostel and a safe place for the bike the piece de resistance was that WIFI was normally 5 bucks a night I could have for free. Cor Blimey guv never has my accent been as useful as it was tonight and thank you Suzie at the Woodruff B&B Atlanta International Hostel for treating me like a prince much appreciated and great end to a pretty excellent day.

It got better just round the corner was a decent supermarket so a chicken tika masala for me tea to crown a good day. Its days like this that make me get why I am out here on the road as at times I do wonder why I am doing this.
dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote